Monday, May 01, 2006

The End is Nigh

The beach in Southern Cambodia was really nice and a good end to our traveling. We went on a day trip to go snorkeling but found that the coral and water off the shores of Cambodia are not as spectacular as in Thailand. But the water was warm and it was great to float in the salty blue one last time before heading home. We basically relaxed most for our stay on Serendipity beach, it was definitely mellow.

SANY0024
Cloud Nine Guesthouse is where we stayed, we had a nice bungalow with a good view also.

SANY0021
The really nice beach where we spent our day trip

SANY0022
Nice clouds, ok I'm going to be really geeky now...Those are cumulus with some virtical development going on the bottom and you can spot the alto stratus on the top right



It was sad to see the small children who go from one end of the beach to the other hoping to sell bracelets and other things. They do this all day long, they don't go to school. It is also hard saying "no" to the countless beggars, some missing limbs. It is estimated that 600 people a month die or are wounded by land mines in Cambodia. After all that this country has gone through fairly recently it is sad that the killing just wont end. In Pol Pots Khmer Rouge regime starting in 1975 an estimated 1.5-2 million people were executed or died from starvation and forced labor. All because they may have worn glasses, were educated or professionals, affiliated with former governments or were of certain religions or ethnicities. These people threatened Pol Pots twisted ideas for a strictly agrarian society. These people died for no reason at all. And just now Cambodia is picking up the pieces, what a strong people.


I have done a lot of reflecting and have found that I can only look fondly on our travels and adventures, that I enjoyed every moment. I feel so fortunate to have been able to experience so much. I can't believe that wonderful time of my life traveling in SE Asia has reluctantly come to an end. But I do not resent coming home, I look forward to seeing all the wonderful people I love...

there is no telling how much I have learned but here are a few things that stand out in my mind:

Life is unfair

That $1 is 40 Thai Baht is 4 Malaysian Ringgit is 10,000 Lao Kip is 4000 Cambodian Riel

That I have grown to hate, Thai, Cambodian, Lao pop music!

Most people here work harder than I ever will

That one grain of rice is hours of hard labor

That the people who deserve the most credit are usually the ones who get the least of all

A smile really can get you far

That children can be robbed of their childhoods

That life can mean something very different than what I am used to

That even in terrible conditions, people can be content and laugh

That I don't like spicy Thai food, and yes I have tried and tried

That we need so very little and that we waste so very much

That four hours in an air-con bus is a very different experience than four hours in a non air-con bus packed to the brim

That my endurance can span to levels that I never thought possible

safety in places like this is something still to be learned

People don't have to agree to get along

That a good book can affect my mood, as well as a bad one


And those are just a few things, some I knew of before but to experience that they are true is completely different.

All in all its been great and I can't wait to get out traveling again. I can envision Indonesia and Africa, but also I want to spend a year or so in Mexico. Then Central and South America I definitely want to see. But then there is also Europe and India. Lets not forget that Dan wants to go to Greenland...burrr. There is just so much to see, but we have our lives to live out yet ...



SANY0004
Alright so here is one last sunset, ahhh so pretty.

1 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bree,

Sounds like this trip has really made you reflect and appreciate life more than you already did...that my friend/sis is what travelling is all about!

Till next time!

Can't wait to see you and share these stories in person.

Luv Always
P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home